Posts by Breakmixer

[ame]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/ame]

:-/

Quite a few Old School Electro/Hip Hop Joints used a Roland 909, what other apart from these did? I realise Mantronik heavily relied on it for lots of his other productions...but these ones are the ones that instantly come to mind... ;)

[ame]

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

So what others are there, maybe some rare stuff....

1983 ish!

First tune I heard was 'Buffalo Gals' by Malcolm Mclaren/WFST, I liked the video but didn't acknowledge this new form of music, just saw it as music. Then my 'brother' bought Freeez - IOU on 12", I really liked it and asked what it was, he told me it was Jazz Funk :-/ Then a few months later was in a London 12" record shop and a DJ used to play tunes in the shop and dropped the needle on the wax and I stood their totally uplifted wondering what it was I was hearing,

he just held up 'Crucial Electro' and the music that grabbed me was Tyrone Brunson - The Smurf intro(which I came back for with £4.99 a few days later ;D ), from that point I used to spend my pocket money on Electro LP's and 12"s on import, like Afrika Bambaataa, Planet Patrol, Freeez, Man Parrish, Shannon etc etc...

Stopped listening to Electro in 88, got more into hip hop/house but got back into Electro after buying Dave Clarke - Electric Boogie(Clear Vinyl) in about 1998, which resparked my love for electro and collecting old school electro vinyl, just buying odd new school bits and bobs like DMX Krew, Electro Boogie Breaks(White Vinyl) etc back then, didn't seem to be much new Electro getting made to my knowledge back then in 98...

Tons of electro about now though ;D Good to see it never died! :)

PS my favourite modern Electro tune is that Vinyl Life - Hot Sauce, awesome tune! :cylon:

Quote from LiveWire;53376

Thing is..this forum is the biggest electro forum on the net right? Yet such a major electro event as this has almost zero response.This thread itself has some 14 posts half of which are mine bumping it so that it wont vanish.
    i want this event to happen and will be there if it does, i missed Fresh 86 due to being only 13 at the time so i am not going to miss this one.

+1, I'm going:)

I was 15 during UK Fresh 86 and my mum still wouldn't let me go... ::)

Quote from MikeAsh;54548

I wrote all of my latest EP on my netbook with VST instruments then transferred the tracks to my studio for final mixdown / arrangement etc. I replaced most of the sounds with hardware but some VST stuff stayed. My favourite VST instrument of the moment is DCAM Synth Squad : Strobe
    http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=62&tab=181
    http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=62&tab=182
    It sounds and behaves like a real synth.. it almost made me consider selling some of my VA hardware.. but I resisted because I like my studio to look like the control center of a space ship :D

My most recent purchases are Novation Ultranova hardware synth, quite a cool synth with its VST intergration(does PD, FM, Wavetable and VA sounds) and a new VA VST by XILS-Lab called Synthix, this little emulation of a Synthex has blown me away, they are currently running a pre-order group buy on it so I jumped in, this is the closest to analogue I've ever heard in a plugin - well impressed but it has a very confusing 'layer locking' function, here's the link http://www.xils-lab.com/pages/Synthix.html

I really thought that Electro artists might look down and frown upon VST's, glad to see that's not the case...

PS any electro you have made using VST's feel free to link it here, I'm interested to hear it ;D

One day I will buy a real analogue, mostly interested in the Dave Smith ones...

Yes Strobe is very good, demo'd it but didn't like the other 2 synths included...

Quote from elektroakust.;4187

i was lucky ...got it for ~25 usd (incl. shipping)
    the seller didnt know what he had.
    ive been asking sellers of "computer age" for a while now
    if their 12" is a promo ...cause some dont mention that specificly.
    finally found one that way. 8)

Why is the promo worth more, I have Computer Age on Sunnyview - not sure if it's a promo though? I'd have to look...

I'm sure my Whodini - Haunted House Of Rock - Jive UK is a Green Vinyl

and isn't there a Jonzun Crew Green Vinyl too(Rare and hard to find), yep, here it is...

[ame]

[/ame]

reading the Youtube comments spotted this "Play That Beat 12" (Tommy Boy) came also in white. Planet Patrol album (Tommy Boy)also came in blue and purple. I never seen Electro Boogie Encounter in white!!"

Quote from electrokid;53705

amazing vid!
    Herbie Hancock on the keys!
    THANKX!

Also the singer was related to Herbie, I think his nephew/cousin!

Also here is the Horn Section from Crazy Cuts, a band called Chops with 'Bust It Out'

[ame]

[/ame]

Crazy Cuts is one of my faves...

Thanks all 2 of you ;)

I was hoping for more answers, but at least some of you do use VST's, so a little reassuring...but I'm guessing most still obviously are still using real analogue synths, hence the lack of answers/interest in the thread...

I've got GAS over the Prophet 08 PE Rackmount, but not the money for one :(

One day maybe... :cylon:

Just bought it, 5 tracks for under £2.50 as a digital download.... ;D

I actually mix breaks by artists like Deekline and Wizard, Aquasky, Freestylers, Sporty-O, DJ Assault, Stanton Warriors etc but also try my best to squeeze in some 100% Electro Funk/Bass artists, Debonaire & Dynamix II are 2 of the artists already making their way into my style... :cylon:

PS Deb, nice site and very easy purchase procedure... ;)

i only collect old school on vinyl, i'd rather buy new school as wav file for use with my traktor duo, i still use the vinyl timecode - hate cd jocking, i'll check this out 2moro, need some new tuneage... :)

Quote from Prototype;51282

I HAVE THE ORIGINAL "CLEAR WHITE VINYL" RELEASE !! 500 COPIES ONLY AND I HAVE ONE !!
    I ALWAYS WANT TO PLAY IT BUT WHEN I SEE IT IM AFRAID TO SCRATCH IT ! ;)

i've got the clear 12" too, played it lots, it was this 12" that got me re-collecting electro back in 99/2000? :cylon:

What about also pitched down vocals like the intro to Grandmixer D.St - Crazy Cuts

[ame]

[/ame]

also Smurf style vocals like

[ame]

[/ame] Rapologists - The Hip Hop Beat(Kids Rap)

and [ame]

[/ame] Smurf Across The Smurf

and Newcleus [ame]

[/ame] Jam On's Revenge!

I also like the Talkbox ala Roger from Zapp

[ame]

[/ame] More Bounce To The Ounce...

Sorry for going off topic, just went into one with old school alternatives...

I currently use Alchemy, ACE, PolyKB II, Subboombass and OP-X Pro II.

I also have a Plugiator,

I'm thinking about getting a Moph, Tetra or something!

I'm just wondering who here uses VST's to make this music and wether buying a real analogue will make all the difference? Or do some of you get good results with VST's....?

I do get good results with my Plugiator but it's not multi-timberal... :-[

Just wondering... ;)

Quote from billy1971;38145

It's mad but back in maybe 1987 but defo in 1988 i think House music,Miami Bass,the Detroit sound and the stuff from L.A. like Techno Kut label could have all been played together.
    I never heard The Unknown DJ's 'Basstronic' back in 1988 which was a shame as iam sure the Electro sound could have surived in some form back in the UK back in 1987/88 or did it ???

Electro did have an influence I'm sure, alot of the 1989 club tunes had a Freestyle type beat or Electro Samples, Orange Lemon - Dreams Of Santa Anna, 2 in a Room - Somebody In The House Say Yeah, Westbam - Monkey Say, Monkey Do, etc

I don't think Electro ever died, it has always remained an influence, especially on House/Techno & even DnB...It's just the roots of these styles are unknown to younger listeners...again IMO! :-X