Electro? Electro-Funk?

• Zitat von wex;64959

;D It is about nothing, too general. And probably you don't hear about nu disco hype? :)

Exactly! ALL 4/4 quarter kick beat Dance music made in the '70s was considered Disco! Every last bit of it! And yes, I know all about Nu Disco (you do know what I do for a living, right?), and the reason why they call it that is because they try to emulate the '70s feel. ;)

Zitat von wex;64959

So house will be: Dance music based on a quarter beat kick drum rhythm, usually defined by the era in which it was created ('80s-90s-00s-10s)? :)

House is basically Disco with a drum machine and a touch of Soul, though there are forms of House outside of that description. To define House is a little more complicated, but not Disco. If House, Trance, Electro House or Techno was released in the '70s it would have been considered Disco. ;)

• Zitat von elektroakust.;64960

I was speaking about the "formula" though. If you define "Electro" by a few elements in such a narrow formula, then "Numbers" will be the earliest stop. Of course there will always be something that came before that...... and we all know it started in Afrika. :D

Anyway, i think there will never be a consensus over all of this, its just too much of a mess. :ugly:

But it's a fun mess though, and it has helped me to get through a rough period. :)

• Zitat von Cozmo D;64973

Is that not considered Electro? Or are you joking? :)

JA never call his music as electro by the way, and technoheads marked Cybotron as techno music. Also want to know what about "Techno city"? :)

• Haha ... well Techno City doesn't have a funk beat but a 4/4 kick drum, so technically it wouldn't be electro. But I'd say you also have to consider things as:
    - the time that tune was created
    - the context in which it was created (i.e. Cybotron's other work)
    - the broader musical vibe of it (for example the strong, groove-oriented and syncopated bass)
    ... which makes it an electro tune in my book. :D

My general point being this: While abstract definitions are necessary, they only get you so far. There is no point in applying a general formula to any specific track and judging it in an abstract way. I think you always have to listen to the specific track first and also take into account a broader (sometimes even non musical) context.

(This is also meant as an answer to WEX who is such an avid proponent of definitions :) )

• Zitat

Electro: Electronic dance music with a Funk beat rhythm with an emphasis on synthetic sounds.

Disco: Dance music based on a quarter beat kick drum rhythm, usually defined by the era in which it was created ('70s).

Disco also can be Electronic dance music with a Funk beat rhythm with an emphasis on synthetic sounds! ;) or you think that not?

• To lj: if electro exist as music style, it have defenition by default, like other music styles. It can't be something unknown like Cozmo D wrote: "Electronic dance music with a Funk beat rhythm with an emphasis on synthetic sounds." Electro haven't funk beat, it have electro beat! Dam-funk playing - "Electronic dance music with a Funk beat rhythm with an emphasis on synthetic sounds" - but it's not electro, it's just synthesizer funk with of course funk beat, because it's FUNK! Also i can hear any funk at music of Exzakt, Grow, Adapta etc. I can understand opinion of Cozmo D (why he think in this way), but don't yours. :-/

• Zitat von wex;64983

To lj: if electro exist as music style, it have defenition by default, like other music styles. It can't be something unknown like Cozmo D wrote: "Electronic dance music with a Funk beat rhythm with an emphasis on synthetic sounds." Electro haven't funk beat, it have electro beat! Dam-funk playing - "Electronic dance music with a Funk beat rhythm with an emphasis on synthetic sounds" - but it's not electro, it's just synthesizer funk with of course funk beat, because it's FUNK! Also i can hear any funk at music of Exzakt, Grow, Adapta etc. I can understand opinion of Cozmo D (why he think in this way), but don't yours. :-/

Interesting point. Do you consider Newcleus Electro?

• Zitat von wex;64983

To lj: if electro exist as music style, it have defenition by default, like other music styles. It can't be something unknown like Cozmo D wrote: "Electronic dance music with a Funk beat rhythm with an emphasis on synthetic sounds." Electro haven't funk beat, it have electro beat! Dam-funk playing - "Electronic dance music with a Funk beat rhythm with an emphasis on synthetic sounds" - but it's not electro, it's just synthesizer funk with of course funk beat, because it's FUNK! Also i can hear any funk at music of Exzakt, Grow, Adapta etc. I can understand opinion of Cozmo D (why he think in this way), but don't yours. :-/

Would you please stop it, man? Your english is ridiculously awful plus you keep trying to justify your confusion about electro by laying down lame definitions while insulting people who dare to have different opinions than yours :uglywrath:

• Zitat von elektroakust.;64976

Techno City is Techno... simple. ;D

haha...AGREED! ITS AWFUL! You techno boys can lay claim to that and have it man... :D

ELECTROFUNK is a subsidiary of HIP HOP MUSIC AND CULTURE, don't you forget it suckaz...

• Zitat von binalog;64986

Would you please stop it, man? Your english is ridiculously awful plus you keep trying to justify your confusion about electro by laying down lame definitions while insulting people who dare to have different opinions than yours :uglywrath:

That bit about the English is a bit hard man! ;)

ELECTROFUNK is a subsidiary of HIP HOP MUSIC AND CULTURE, don't you forget it suckaz...

• Zitat von wex;64975

JA never call his music as electro by the way, and technoheads marked Cybotron as techno music. Also want to know what about "Techno city"? :)

I never called my music Electro either. Never even heard of the term until 1997. People can mark my music as whatever they want. But as far as I'm concerned, "Techno City is as much Electro as my or Kraftwerk's music is. :cylon:

• Zitat von lj;64979

Haha ... well Techno City doesn't have a funk beat but a 4/4 kick drum, so technically it wouldn't be electro.

Hmmm... I guess it does, I remembered differently. Does have that triple kick on the 2nd bar, but yeah, basically a quarter note kick. I still say it's Electro as well though. :D

• Zitat von lj;64998

Forget it bhose, I won't let the Techno boys have it! Hell of a tune ... and proper ELECTRO :D

haha! C'mon! The moaning men in the background? AHHHH AHHHHHHHH TECHNO CITY? More like the Goombay Dance Band or Tight Fit's Lion Sleeps Tonight man.... even when I heard it for the first time back then I found it laughably camp and daft! :P :D

• In context of early Techno, i personally see "Techno City" clearly as a part of that.
    It's probably only due to Atkins also making a lot pf great "Electro", that people wonder
    if "Techno City" is Electro too. Because it would be ok to like it then... ;D

No one wonders if "Sharevari" or other early 4-to-the-floor tracks
    usually listed as early Techno classics are "Electro", right?

[ame]

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/ame]

Disco-Techno maybe? :ugly:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!