Electro? Electro-Funk?

• I'm not the biggest fan of sub-labels..
    Electro-bass, electro-funk..etc etc..
    Its all Electro to me..
    I can see where heads are coming from when labelling some tracks as electro-funk tho.
    The same for more regular electro also.
    Some are clearly more electroninc sounding and rigid, whereas some make ya head nod and foot tap.

Personally speaking, i have that hip-hop mentality..i.e take a bit from here..bit from there.
    The hip hop d'j's i admired when growing up chucked everything into the mix, not just rap joints.

(I gotta say many of the rap tracks around in the last few years have fuck all to do with hip-hop)

Electro or Electro funk ?
    I dont really care, all comes under one umbrella for me.
    BTW..there was a definite shift in the style of Kraftwerk after that usa tour...no doubt.

• Zitat von Cozmo D;64868

So, if "Numbers" had a bass line then it would be "Electro Funk"? Believe me, I tried like hell to get that robotic, computerized sound but there is only but so much you can do with a Pro One and an 808. ;D

If it had a wah wah guitar riff and a slap bass....maybe...

;D

• I agree with every bit of this! :)

• Zitat von Cozmo D;64853

KW did NOT invent Electro. They pioneered and indeed revolutionized it, but it existed before them. It was only a matter of time before somebody put some funky beats under it. In fact, there were already cats making funky electronic, synthesized music before them, though often with real drums and much less sequencing.

As for a prototype of Electro, this springs to mind, but I believe that there are even earlier examples.

There is the defenition of Electro: "Electro is when the drum patterns tend to be electronic emulations of breakbeats, with kick drums, and usually a snare or clap accenting the downbeat. Its average tempo is between 120 and 140 BPM, its syncopated rhythm is fundamentally built on the base model "kick-snare-kick-kick-snare-kick" whose typical example is the piece of Kraftwerk's "Numbers'. Sound is characterized by the use of analog sound synthesis for writing tracks and abundant inclusions of the effects of echo, delay, reverb, vocoder-treated vocals and lyrics on the sci-fi and futuristic theme." That formula was created by Kraftwerk, that transformed afro-american soul/funk to german machine/robotic music started with TEE. It's far away from synthesizer funk/boogie. And Bambaata just bring it back to roots a little, started funky/hip-hop side of Electro.

• Zitat von wex;64882

There is the defenition of Electro: "Electro is when the drum patterns tend to be electronic emulations of breakbeats, with kick drums, and usually a snare or clap accenting the downbeat. Its average tempo is between 120 and 140 BPM, its syncopated rhythm is fundamentally built on the base model "kick-snare-kick-kick-snare-kick" whose typical example is the piece of Kraftwerk's "Numbers'. Sound is characterized by the use of analog sound synthesis for writing tracks and abundant inclusions of the effects of echo, delay, reverb, vocoder-treated vocals and lyrics on the sci-fi and futuristic theme." That formula was created by Kraftwerk, that transformed afro-american soul/funk to german machine/robotic music started with TEE. It's far away from synthesizer funk/boogie. And Bambaata just bring it back to roots a little, started funky/hip-hop side of Electro.

So anything that doesn't follow that formula or fall under this specific definition is not Electro? ???

• Zitat von Cozmo D;64885

So anything that doesn't follow that formula or fall under this specific definition is not Electro? ???

Absolutely :) Every style his own borders and specifics. For example: wheh Juan Atkins remove break from his music, it became techno, or KW don't use that specific rhythm pattern it's just synthy.

• Can we please just for once and for all get this straight? This discussion is getting old, as it has been going on for some years now, and doesnt seem to get resolved in some people's heads.

• Electro= All Electronic Music...period!
    • Electro Funk= A style of Electro that is influenced by Hip-Hop, Funk and Soul.
    • Electro Bass= A style of Electro music that is influenced by Electro Funk, Techno, and Miami Bass, even some Trance. Often called Techno Bass.
    • Electro Pop= The name is self explanatory...Electro music that is Pop influenced.

...and so on, and so forth. In the end, its all Electro. So when someone says they make "Electro Disco", or "Electro House", dont start with that "that isnt Electro" bullshit, because it is just that...bullshit. Typically those folks that act elitist in that way make either Electro Funk, or Electro Bass. Define what you do, please, or just call it Electro, but let others call it that also, as it is Electro.

Now can we please go back to life? This horse has been beaten so many times, its turned to dust by now! ;D

wex, if you still dont get it, then you probably wont. But if you dont, i would suggest catching up on Electronic music history, not just 80s Electro Funk or Kraftwerk. :)

Ok, now i am dizzy. How many times can someone say Electro in one sentence without getting nauseous? ;D

• Zitat von Starchild;64897

Electro Funk= A style of Electro that is influenced by Hip-Hop, Funk and Soul.

;D Game, set and match.

ELECTROFUNK is a subsidiary of HIP HOP MUSIC AND CULTURE, don't you forget it suckaz...

• Zitat von Starchild;64897

[*]Electro= All Electronic Music...period!

;D
    Are DM - Electro Synth, Goldie - Electro DNB, Armin van Buure - Electro Trance? You probably at wrong forum with you crazy ideas. Do you see sections with electro by decades and separately one with other EDM?

• Zitat von wex;64890

Absolutely :) Every style his own borders and specifics. For example: wheh Juan Atkins remove break from his music, it became techno, or KW don't use that specific rhythm pattern it's just synthy.

So the Man Machine album is not Elactro then. So what is it, Disco? ???

• Zitat von Cozmo D;64900

So the Man Machine album is not Elactro then. So what is it, Disco? ???

Album - not, some tracks - yes.

About disco from Wiki: "Musical influences include funk, Latin and soul music. The disco sound has soaring, often reverberated vocals over a steady "four-on-the-floor" beat, an eighth note (quaver) or 16th note (semi-quaver) hi-hat pattern with an open hi-hat on the off-beat, and a prominent, syncopated electric bass line sometimes consisting of octaves. The Fender Jazz Bass is often associated with disco bass lines, because the instrument itself has a very prominent "voice" in the musical mix. In most disco tracks, strings, horns, electric pianos, and electric guitars create a lush background sound. Orchestral instruments such as the flute are often used for solo melodies, and lead guitar is less frequently in disco than in rock. Many disco songs employ the use of electronic instruments such as synthesizers."

• Zitat von wex;64903

Album - not, some tracks - yes.

About disco from Wiki: "Musical influences include funk, Latin and soul music. The disco sound has soaring, often reverberated vocals over a steady "four-on-the-floor" beat, an eighth note (quaver) or 16th note (semi-quaver) hi-hat pattern with an open hi-hat on the off-beat, and a prominent, syncopated electric bass line sometimes consisting of octaves. The Fender Jazz Bass is often associated with disco bass lines, because the instrument itself has a very prominent "voice" in the musical mix. In most disco tracks, strings, horns, electric pianos, and electric guitars create a lush background sound. Orchestral instruments such as the flute are often used for solo melodies, and lead guitar is less frequently in disco than in rock. Many disco songs employ the use of electronic instruments such as synthesizers."

So, we are even eliminating Kraftwerk from Electro now, unless they do the specific type of Electro that carries the EE seal of approval. OK. LOL!!!

BTW... that Wiki description of Disco is almost as stupid as the description of Electro is! ;D

• Just had a look a that disco entry in wikipedia... scroll down it and you come to this! I copy and paste it...

Hip hop and electro
    The disco sound had a strong influence on early hip hop. Most of the early rap/hip-hop songs were created by isolating existing disco bass-guitar lines and dubbing over them with MC rhymes. The Sugarhill Gang used Chic's "Good Times" as the foundation for their 1979 hit "Rapper's Delight", generally considered to be the song that first popularized rap music in the United States and around the world. In 1982, Afrika Bambataa released the single "Planet Rock", which incorporated electronica elements from Kraftwerk's "Trans-Europe Express" and "Numbers" as well as YMO's "Riot in Lagos". The Planet Rock sound also spawned a hip-hop electronic dance trend, electro music, which included songs such as Planet Patrol's "Play at Your Own Risk" (1982), C Bank's "One More Shot" (1982), Cerrone's "Club Underworld" (1984), Shannon's "Let the Music Play" (1983), Freeez's "I.O.U." (1983), Midnight Star's "Freak-a-Zoid" (1983), Chaka Khan's "I Feel For You" (1984).

:uglywave:

ELECTROFUNK is a subsidiary of HIP HOP MUSIC AND CULTURE, don't you forget it suckaz...

• Zitat von Cozmo D;64902

Throw Jazz in there as well and you have the best description of Newcleus that I have ever heard. :)

Crap, you are right...Actually, Computer Age has strong Jazz and Funk influences i would say! :)

@wex....do you really not see the different decade sections of the forum? edm i would say is just another name for electronic music, not some other form. it just happened to be called that at a specific time in history, which would probably give the notion it is some other style.

Anyway, i am done with you man, you are making me beat dust at this point... ;D

• Zitat von Cozmo D;64905

So, we are even eliminating Kraftwerk from Electro now, unless they do the specific type of Electro that carries the EE seal of approval. OK. LOL!!!

Why we would do this? Is this really hard to understand that musicians can produce different music styles in different periods? KW started with krautROCK, continued with experemental electronic known as Dusseldorf School of EM, turned to pop with synth pop & electro.

Zitat von Cozmo D;64905

BTW... that Wiki description of Disco is almost as stupid as the description of Electro is! ;D

Please write not stupid.

• Zitat von Starchild;64907

@wex....do you really not see the different decade sections of the forum? edm i would say is just another name for electronic music, not some other form. it just happened to be called that at a specific time in history, which would probably give the notion it is some other style.

Anyway, i am done with you man, you are making me beat dust at this point... ;D

Man, you don't answered for my question!

This forum is not dedicated to all electronic music, or even EDM, it dedicate to Electro - breakbeat style of EDM. if you don't understand it, so I pity you. EM and EDM kinda different things, there are not much common, except synthesizers. Are you really think that KS, Pierre Boulez, Pierre Schaeffer, Daphe Oram, JMJ, Bas Broekhuis, Detlef Keller, Mario Schonwalder have any common with Newcleus, Goldie, Skream, Dj Sneak, Deadmau5, Markus Schulz or Mandroid and Drexciya?

• Zitat von wex;64919

Why we would do this? Is this really hard to understand that musicians can produce different music styles in different periods? KW started with krautROCK, continued with experemental electronic known as Dusseldorf School of EM, turned to pop with synth pop & electro.

Well, by the definition that you used Kraftwerk made very little Electro, and didn't make ANY until "Numbers". So we can't very well say that they are an Electro group, can we? BTW, I gather that you don't consider Yellow Magic Orchestra Electro either, because by your chronology they beat Kraftwerk by a good 3 years. Shit, I wrote "Computer Age" in 1981, maybe I invented Electro! :D

Zitat von wex;64919

Please write not stupid.

I didn't call YOU stupid, I called the definitions that you copied and pasted stupid. You didn't write them, did you? ???

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!