Electro? Electro-Funk?

• Zitat von lj;65001

Bhose, so you don't like tour de france? or anything the egyptian lover put out?
    you're stepping on thin ice, my friend. ;D

I love those jams but Technocity is horrible... don't insult stuff by Kraftwerk and Egyptian Lover by comparing it to Technocity... :-/
    ...and the only track that can get away with the heavy breathing 'credibly' imo is Tour De France' as it kicked off the whole idea of doing it in the first place... but all the other West Coast jams with the heavy breathing would have sounded a lot better if they'd left out the silly breathing business.

ELECTROFUNK is a subsidiary of HIP HOP MUSIC AND CULTURE, don't you forget it suckaz...

• This 1995 Audiotech (Atkins) version of "Techno City" is definitly Electro(-Bass) 8)

[ame]

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/ame]

• Zitat von bhose;65002

...and the only track that can get away with the heavy breathing 'credibly' imo is Tour De France' as it kicked off the whole idea of doing it in the first place... but all the other West Coast jams with the heavy breathing would have sounded a lot better if they'd left out the silly breathing business.

Actually, I agree ... I was just trying to wind you up. ;)

... but still, Techno City is in my top 10. :P

• Zitat von Cozmo D;64961

Exactly! ALL 4/4 quarter kick beat Dance music made in the '70s was considered Disco! Every last bit of it!

Richard Wahnfried ‎"Time Actor" (1979)
    [ame]

Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/ame]

Disco? :uglywonder:

Probably not meant to dance to though... ;D

• Zitat von Cozmo D;64985

Interesting point. Do you consider Newcleus Electro?

yes, some tracks, but I don't heard all of it. You can made tracks in different style, like KW.

Midnight Star - Engine No. 9 -- boogie/funk

Newcleus-Destination Earth -- electro

• Zitat von binalog;64986

Would you please stop it, man? Your english is ridiculously awful plus you keep trying to justify your confusion about electro by laying down lame definitions while insulting people who dare to have different opinions than yours :uglywrath:

Yes it's bad. If you don't like something you can stay away and keep your confusion alive! ;D

• Zitat von elektroakust.;65000

No one wonders if "Sharevari" or other early 4-to-the-floor tracks
    usually listed as early Techno classics are "Electro", right?

Disco-Techno maybe? :ugly:

Laurent Garnier call it first detroit techno track, and second is "Alley of your Mind" :)

• Zitat von elektroakust.;65000

In context of early Techno, i personally see "Techno City" clearly as a part of that.
    It's probably only due to Atkins also making a lot pf great "Electro", that people wonder
    if "Techno City" is Electro too. Because it would be ok to like it then... ;D

No one wonders if "Sharevari" or other early 4-to-the-floor tracks
    usually listed as early Techno classics are "Electro", right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLMGmJzp29Y

Disco-Techno maybe? :ugly:

That's Disco. 8)

• Zitat von wex;65007

yes, some tracks, but I don't heard all of it. You can made tracks in different style, like KW.

Midnight Star - Engine No. 9 -- boogie/funk

Newcleus-Destination Earth -- electro

"Jam On Revenge" was as much a Funk jam as any Dam Funk track. "Destination Earth" too. :)

• Zitat von wex;65010

How you called it? Funk, Boogie, Hip Hop or something else?

We called a lot of our music Funk. Hip-Hop didn't exist as a music term yet. "Automan" was a New Wave track, but Jonathan Fearing took out all of the synth rock elements. Frankly, I never did care but so much for labels, and never really tried to fit our music into genres. We were making music that we liked that we figured would make people dance.

However... "Jam On Revenge", "Jam On It", "Destination Earth", "I'm Not A Robot" were all mostly Funk inspired. "No More Runnin'" was more R&B inspired. "Automan" was atraight up New Wave, and "Computer Age" was probably the only track that could be called mostly Electro inspired, as I definitely borrowed plenty of ideas from "Numbers" for it.

• Zitat von Cozmo D;65017

We called a lot of our music Funk. Hip-Hop didn't exist as a music term yet. "Automan" was a New Wave track, but Jonathan Fearing took out all of the synth rock elements. Frankly, I never did care but so much for labels, and never really tried to fit our music into genres. We were making music that we liked that we figured would make people dance.

However... "Jam On Revenge", "Jam On It", "Destination Earth", "I'm Not A Robot" were all mostly Funk inspired. "No More Runnin'" was more R&B inspired. "Automan" was atraight up New Wave, and "Computer Age" was probably the only track that could be called mostly Electro inspired, as I definitely borrowed plenty of ideas from "Numbers" for it.

But you know what? To be honest, on almost every one of these tracks I was trying to make electronic music. Funky music yes, but I wanted it to have an electronic, futuristic feel. I have to be honest with myself. The only exception would be "No More Runnin". The work of Moroder, Jarre, Kraftwerk and Numan was never very far from my mind.

• Zitat von Cozmo D;65014

Definitely Disco. The mix sucks but it's as much Disco as any Giorgio Moroder tune. 8)

Nah, no way. ;D
    "Richard Wahnfried" was a various artist project by Klaus Schulze...
    he is as far away from disco as you can get.
    Must have been the only track were he actually ever used some sort of beat.

If any label would fit for this track... it might be an early "Trance" track.
    ("Trance" as in hypnotic chilling techno... not the cheesy dumb pop crap that "Trance"
    became in the mid 90s.)

Another example of that style... (1981)
    [ame]

[/ame]

In "Disco" i always hear that thick warm atmosphere, which you don't have in
    Techno or Trance or some sorts of House.

• You can call it whatever you want now, but I'm telling you that when it came out it was considered Disco. :*

• Zitat von Cozmo D;65020

You can call it whatever you want now, but I'm telling you that when it came out it was considered Disco. :*

Absolutely not, it's called EM, not exactly Berlin School, but it's KS!

• I'm afraid this conversation is completely off-topic. Our subject is what's the origin of the electro term. Well, electro is electrofunk shortened. Period. Every attempt to discover a use of this term in a pre-Planet Rock era is pointless because even if someone used that word to describe some music in the 70s apparently he(she) did it for a separate case, not for a whole (sub)genre. Electro IS electrofunk, a subsidiary of hip-hop, regardless if in the following years has been transformed to Miami Bass, Techno Bass, Techno Breaks or...whatever. The syncopated beats are characteristic to this kind of music and ONLY to this kind of music.

• Zitat von wex;65021

Absolutely not, it's called EM, not exactly Berlin School, but it's KS!

And when did these terms develop? 20 years ago? Maybe? The track is over 30 years old and when it was released it was considered Disco. Calling it whatever you want now will NEVER CHANGE THAT FACT!!! :*

• Zitat von Cozmo D;65017

Frankly, I never did care but so much for labels, and never really tried to fit our music into genres. We were making music that we liked that we figured would make people dance.

All musicians say it :)

Zitat von Cozmo D;65017

You mostly used electro rhythmic structure, that different from funk rhythmic structure. "No More Runnin'" was more R&B inspired. - Yep, not electro. No matter what music you was inspered, matter what happened. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!