Electro? Electro-Funk?

• Zitat von LektroiD;64560

155, then maybe khan should refrain from calling his albums 'Nu Electro', because as you have clearly pointed out, it just isn't that. Besides, electro has never been a 'black' scene, it has always been for everyone.

There is no point in getting in to an argument as to what 'Nu-Electro' is or isn't, everyone has an opinion. I strongly believe that 'Nu-Electro 4' is actually closer to the vision of the original series, incorporating a wider range of musical styles.

But your second point is curious, especially as Electro-Funk was a specific, electronically expressed part of Hip Hop - and Hip Hop started out as a predominantly black musical artform and culture.

Never to the left of a yoga mat!

• Zitat von 155;64564

... But your second point is curious, especially as Electro-Funk was a specific, electronically expressed part of Hip Hop - and Hip Hop started out as a predominantly black musical artform and culture...155

:uglyclap:

ELECTROFUNK is a subsidiary of HIP HOP MUSIC AND CULTURE, don't you forget it suckaz...

• Zitat von LektroiD;64573

One word; Kraftwerk...

...which was categorised as Krautrock in the 70's, not electro as that term was not used in the 70's. 'Electro' is a shortened form for ELECTRO FUNK.

Kraftwerk in HINDSIGHT is/was 'Electro' as the term is used today, outside of electro-FUNK (HIP HOP).

ELECTROFUNK is a subsidiary of HIP HOP MUSIC AND CULTURE, don't you forget it suckaz...

• Not at all it was used in the 70s, if any thing it's a shortened form
    of electro / wave see YMO firecracker 1978

• Zitat von daro;64576

Not at all it was used in the 70s, if any thing it's a shortened form
    of electro / wave see YMO firecracker 1978

Oh c'mon Daro! Electro - Wave? That term must have been made up in hindsight, never heard of it. What's the difference between 'New Wave' and 'Electro - Wave'? Was 'New Wave' acoustic? What about Micro - Wave'? :D

• Let me get this right you are saying they YMO came up with the name elecrtro
    With hindsight ? E.G. They went back to 1978
    with a ( back to the future style flux capacitor ) reprinted all their
    covers to have the word electro on the smash hit 12 firecracker,
    Selling over 400000 copy's in the us, Used by/ sampled by afrika bam etc,
    Just so they can kidon to peeps that they were using the word to
    Describe their music pre street sounds.. Get real mate :) :)

• I accept they had Electro written on the covers but that does not mean there was a scene of electronic music at the time called 'electro' which is what this is about? I love this discussion, we're never gonna agree! :P

• They are nuffing to say bro, they were making
    Banging electro and calling it electro in the 70s
    If your introduction to it was mid skool u.s.
    Electro funk etc that's all good bro, anyway
    It's going off topic,

L.P. Cover looks great, does smell a bit of the last
    spin of the dice, going down the tubes

• Zitat von bhose;64581

I accept they had Electro written on the covers but that does not mean there was a scene of electronic music at the time called 'electro' which is what this is about? I love this discussion, we're never gonna agree! :P

This is the key point, and it revolves around the use of the term 'Electro', which is complicated in the UK by 'Streetsounds' using it to describe a sub genre of Hip Hop.

There was certainly electronic music around before the 'Electro' series - Brian Eno etc, Yellow Magic Orchestra, and Kraftwerk, but none of this is what might be termed 'Electro Funk'! It is the funk that keeps the music from becoming sterile (although some artists might wish to achieve and communicate such an aural impression), and the funk was added and communicated in to electronic music by whom?

155 :)

Never to the left of a yoga mat!

• Zitat von 155;64589

This is the key point, and it revolves around the use of the term 'Electro', which is complicated in the UK by 'Streetsounds' using it to describe a sub genre of Hip Hop.

There was certainly electronic music around before the 'Electro' series - Brian Eno etc, Yellow Magic Orchestra, and Kraftwerk, but none of this is what might be termed 'Electro Funk'! It is the funk that keeps the music from becoming sterile (although some artists might wish to achieve and communicate such an aural impression), and the funk was added and communicated in to electronic music by whom?

155 :)

WORD! 8)

• Whenever i read that Bambaataa called his music (Planet Rock etc) "Electro-Funk"
    something just doesn't seem to make fully sense. Listening to it the obvious 2 predominant
    elements in this are Rap and electronic Kraftwerk style music. The funk in this seems to be
    limited to the syncopated drum programming. So shouldn't this rather be called
    "Electro-Rap" or "Electro-Hiphop" instead of "Electro-Funk"?

"Electro-Funk" i'd use for bands like Midnight Star, where FUNK clearly is the main element.
    And it doesn't really seem as if their style was born out of the Hiphop movement.

Seems like the "misuse" of terminology already started in the 80s...
    no wonder its a mess these days. ;D

Just my 2 cents. What do you think?

• Zitat von bhose;64574

...which was categorised as Krautrock in the 70's, not electro as that term was not used in the 70's. 'Electro' is a shortened form for ELECTRO FUNK.

Kraftwerk in HINDSIGHT is/was 'Electro' as the term is used today, outside of electro-FUNK (HIP HOP).

Actually Kraftwerk's early "Krautrock" (experimental improvised rock music) phase ended
    around 1973 after 3~4 albums in that style. Then (1974~1977) they transformed into the
    iconic robotic man machine concept project that we all know. I don't know how people here
    or elsewhere called their style at that point, but it probably wasn't "Krautrock" anymore... especially
    not in Germany, where the term "Krautrock" (obviously invented by the british press) was
    only used in later years. Over here it was titled "Art Rock / Jazz Rock / Progressive Rock" etc.

• i agree with that..i would say kraftwerk made experimental Electro Music..
    Electro Funk is stuff like Kiddo, Midnight Star, Radiance..

Planet Rock is Electro/Hip Hop, Bambaataa just made kraftwerk stuff more danceable and mixed it with Hip Hop (rap)..

Electro Rap is stuff like cd III, ultimate III ecetera.. and electro was a sub of hip hop in the early to mid (and and partly end 80's).

• Electro /Electronic / Experimental:

[ame]

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/ame]

[ame]

Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/ame]

Electro:

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

Electro Funk:

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

Electro Rap/Electro Hip Hop:

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

• I guess, like Santino suggested a while ago in another thread, we should stop
    calling any specific style just "Electro" because there are so many different "Electro" styles by now.
    It's less confusing to use double-terms like Electro-Rap, Electro-Funk, Techno-Electro etc...
    History needs to be re-written... :ugly:

• I don't know guys... I mean i'm 42 years old and i've been listening to this kind of music since my brother brought home "The Renegades Of Funk" 12inch (that was back in 84). I have always known this music as "electro-funk" and i have always understood it as a sub-genre of hip-hop, plus i have always linked the "electro" term as a short one of the "electro-funk".

Just my 2 cents. ;) ;D

• Zitat von binalog;64631

I don't know guys... I mean i'm 42 years old and i've been listening to this kind of music since my brother brought home "The Renegades Of Funk" 12inch (that was back in 84). I have always known this music as "electro-funk" and i have always understood it as a sub-genre of hip-hop, plus i have always linked the "electro" term as a short one of the "electro-funk".

Just my 2 cents. ;) ;D

:thumb:

• Zitat von binalog;64631

I don't know guys... I mean i'm 42 years old and i've been listening to this kind of music since my brother brought home "The Renegades Of Funk" 12inch (that was back in 84). I have always known this music as "electro-funk" and i have always understood it as a sub-genre of hip-hop, plus i have always linked the "electro" term as a short one of the "electro-funk".

Just my 2 cents. ;) ;D

Like we have said before if your first itrodution into the
    world of electro style music, was electro with a funk twist
    to it great,

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!