• Chuki, please tell us more about your experience with Templeplate.

note by admin:
    The first two pages of this thread have been seperated from a
    music release thread in the 21st centrury forum section.

• Zitat von NewFlesh;62191

Chuki, please tell us more about your experience with Templeplate.

Ok I,ve just sent you a message , my opinion is that templeplate aren´t serious and his prices are high.....I am avinyl lover and I buy lots of vinyls because I don´t use digital format and I´m not happy with Temple :(

• ..thanks god I never have problems w/ tp (know some who has though) but as to cut vinyl there - shitty sound quality at the first place, and besides there are some guys from different countries who received badly scratched cut records for quite a high amount of money and tp wasn't going to do anything w/ that ..of course I look at it only from the consumer point of view but on the other side - who else buys records?)

• I used to order vinyl from templeplate, never had any problems of any kind but unfortunately sound quality of cut records was very poor. Don't know how is the situation now.

• the prices off the cutting vinyl are very expensive. some released are fine tunes and i would love to have it on vinyl. but 18eus for a 12"??? come on! thats not fair. and i remeber for 3years the prices of the cutting are not so expensive...

mostly the sound-quality is good. i had only 2record with shity sound quality. don't know why is the quality so different on each record.

• The sound quality it´s poor on cut on demand records....but if they sent the vinyl bad ( make loops at some parts .... ) they don´t change it. I don´t want to talk anymore about this bad things...That´s only my experience and I hope anyone will not have the same trouble.

• hi guys,

at first we know well TP team as we are a part of it.

I've the feeling a few people know what cutting on demand is and why prices of cutting are higher than pressed records.
    When you order a one-off record that means you will get an original record cut only for. That means if your record is 20 minutes, the cutter (machine + human) work 30-40 minutes. This is not a pressing machine that presses 1 record every 30 sec or minute.The prices can't be the same because the work isn't the same.
    Why did the prices grow? because diamonds used are purer, better but much more expensive.

Templeplate, New Flesh and labels that work with one-off cutting win nothing in this story.Of course 18 euros is expensive but as regards to the job,this is 50% of the real price.TP losts money everytime they cut records.18 euros doesn't pay the work, blank record,device,electricity...
    Thats's why they have a very small catalog on demand and don't welcome new labels.

Why are sound not regular?this is the same as for pressing record!When masterings are not optimized the cutting is the same.The vinyl can't give more that the mastering.

About the people you heard or saied they had troubles with some records,Anne from TP is still waiting for 5 or 6 of them since 2 years to send her back the records in order the groove is checked but nobody sent anything!
    As every record is checked twice on 2 different systems,she gave some advices about device checking (anti skating,weight,cleaning,cartridge positioning, tonearm level...) but she told me she thinks they even read.

I think some of you are really unfair with TP work.This is easy to give someone bad reputation when you don't follow the advices and don't even send the records back for checking.

At NF we try to improve our mastering but this is a very hard work because a few artists in the world are used to optimize his work for vinyl release.This is something they need to learn but this is hard.And mastering is a real job that costs very expensive.

This is easy to make digital,everybody can make digital (my grandmother makes digital),you will never have troubles with the sound.This is another thing to make vinyl and music for vinyl.Majority of releases are not make for vinyl so when you want to release it on vinyl this is very hard to optimize.
    Like other labels we keep on doing records for those who are used to play records, who know them and want to keep it on but those who are looking for digital sound or cheap prices can find everything they are waiting for on Internet.

When you buy a one-off record at 18 € instead of 10 € for a pressed don't think the volume will be 80% higher or cleaner!This is a unique piece not more.

To finish with,don't forget vinyl is the sound of the underground not the sound of the supermarket cleaned with bleach! :cylon:

• thanks for explanation. i got some facts, i didn't know. i still buy some cutting records on tp. it's a chance to get digital-music on vinyl! that's great! and i'm looking forward to new newflesh releases. one of the top-labels out there! i just wondered why the prices are so high!

• I don´t know how many time cost make a vinyl,and I musn´t know it,that´s no my business,if templeplate lose money that´s no my problem...templeplate offer vinyls on cut on demand for 18 euros,if they lose money they must study his company....so I don´t believe it....but I,m only the buyer and I think that 18 euros for a current vinyl ( not 180 gr ,o colour vinyl ) it´s so high specially when you buy vinyls of many labels and you could get one vinyl around 10 - 13 € and the vinyl are better ( heavier or colour , with poster ....... ) .Anyway if you shell vinyls with this prices i think that the vinyls must be OK 100% , or if you have any problem , make easy the solution for the client.......I think you have to change the vinyl at less,not repair or telling the client that his devices are bad or trying to teach about the antiskating , weights , sleeves.....

I think all the artist Known that releasing on vinyl you must to make a diferent mastering , it´s diferent than digital. We have just started to porduce and we know this.....I don´t want a clear sound ,I only want good sound and withe the new flesh references that I´ve bought I must to get the gain of the channel around 20 or 30 % more than other vinyls.... I don´t know why .....

Finally I would like to say that I´ll always be looking for New Flesh releases specially defekt and deemphasis and I know that if I want to get those vinyls templeplate it´s the only way...but it don´t means that I like it.....I´m only a vinyl buyer and I think that the only one thing sure it´s that I´ll pay all the orders, so that , I can say my opinion and it´s that Temple don´t works well

• Zitat von NewFlesh;62249

I've the feeling a few people know what cutting on demand is and why prices of cutting are higher than pressed records.

..that's strange as people who still buy records probably do it not because it's a new trend in a digital age ..so why treat them as lamers?)

Zitat von NewFlesh;62249

About the people you heard or saied they had troubles with some records,Anne from TP is still waiting for 5 or 6 of them since 2 years to send her back the records in order the groove is checked but nobody sent anything!

..that's quite clear but what's about an extra cost 4 shipping back, wasting time and besides some shit that could happen (like loosing, damaging and so on)

Zitat von NewFlesh;62249

Why are sound not regular?this is the same as for pressing record!When masterings are not optimized the cutting is the same.The vinyl can't give more that the mastering.

..somehow I thought that the label should think about it ..I'm not sure that people like buying mp3 that was cut on a record ..I'd better buy wav to play through dvs, at least I'd be sure that it sounds good

..I really love NF (and TP is a good store w/ nice stock) but what I can't understand is why with such a roster of artists don't make a limited pressing (like many labels do now) to feed the world with some good records)) ..it's waste of money of course but it's the same that record on demand for me)

• From what I gathered, TP do some mild mastering just to make sure any rogue frequencies are in check and the needle won't jump on playback. However, they don't colour the sound in any way or necessarily 'improve' the master provided.

The process for mastering is generally a lot more involved onto vinyl than for digital. That's why it's best to book some time to attend the mix in the cutting studio and leave it to the pros :)

I've used TP in the past for Robert Cosmic's release. I had many complaints, so I haven't used since.

Maybe I will in the future though as manufacturing in bulk is so expensive. Most plants won't touch any less than 200 units (unless you get white labels). You'd be extremely lucky to shift 100 electro 12"s these days so it's easy to see how every release is running a huge loss. It's not economically viable for small labels to release vinyl each time. As much as I love electro(nic) music and try to release on wax, I can't justify losing £300 -£400 every time. I have to be measured about it, and - as crazy as it sounds - only release when I can afford to lose that much. Yes, I am a terrible businessman! But then again, I was never in it to make any money. OK, I'll get off the soap box...

With that rant in mind, I'd just like to give mad props to any labels still trying to fly the vinyl flag, and of course to all the electro heads who show their continued support with vinyl purchases. Without them there would be nothing! Huge respect to one and all, big up 8)

• Zitat von pipwilliams;62332

manufacturing in bulk is so expensive. Most plants won't touch any less than 200 units (unless you get white labels). You'd be extremely lucky to shift 100 electro 12"s these days so it's easy to see how every release is running a huge loss. It's not economically viable for small labels to release vinyl each time. As much as I love electro(nic) music and try to release on wax, I can't justify losing £300 -£400 every time. I have to be measured about it, and - as crazy as it sounds - only release when I can afford to lose that much. Yes, I am a terrible businessman! But then again, I was never in it to make any money. OK, I'll get off the soap box...

With that rant in mind, I'd just like to give mad props to any labels still trying to fly the vinyl flag, and of course to all the electro heads who show their continued support with vinyl purchases. Without them there would be nothing! Huge respect to one and all, big up 8)

Well said Phil, mad respect to you my man for keeping the funk alive! 8)

As for Templeplate... well, these guys think they're smarter than a scientist who also happens to be a gentleman in his transactions >:( They're not... ;)

• Heyyy Pip you keep the electro Alive....I´ll buy all your vinyls releases ... You know man.....and of course we are working to have our own label and of course we will release on vinyl more than digital...althought we lose some times money....that´s the underground......but high quality vinyls of course

• Here's the message i received from Anne Soubeyrat about an hour ago (apparently she thought i wouldn't... dare to post it ;) :(

"As for Templeplate... well, these guys think they're smarter than a scientist who also happens to be a gentleman in his transactions They're not..."
    Yes you're right! That's why I won't send the records I have aside for you.
    Don't hesitate to tell your friends how excited they are buying your releases on records higher than at cheap prices ... only 11 on demand cut records were sold... maybe your fan club knows how poor your masterings are and how poorer the result will be on records :)
    Not sure they are ready to pay the real price for dubplate (around 70-80 euros) or on demand record (around 40 euros) to get your releases on records.
    To finish with, we received many complaints about your 1st compilation*, some founds the sound is poor... maybe I should have posted on forums to give the information ...

Don't hesitate to copy my message and post it on EE :)

cheers,
    Anne

*she means Advanced Funk Vol.1

And here's my reply:

How does it feel living the low life?...

Anyway, i...strongly recommend this site: TOP work, very kind and reliable people! :uglylol:
    (whatever they're gonna say or write for me and my label i'm not going to answer. Bye bye! :uglywave: )

• Yes the same people that took over 2 months to send my order of one record,because there cutting diamonds were broken ::)

• Just wanted to say I have been working with Anne and Templeplate for
    distribution and other stuff over many years and things went always fine.

Of course it sucks to buy a record that's not sounding as expected.
    But try to understand what cutted vinyl really is.
    And try to see their point of view as well. It's not easy doing this.

When software produced Electro thats not been especially
    mastered for vinyl meets cutted vinyl then that naturally won't be
    the best sound quality. That's just reality, don't take it personal...
    it's not saying anything about the music itself. It's physics.

Cutted vinyl is not pressed vinyl. But at least its VINYL!
    See it this way. Its an individually handmade rarity.
    Vinyl for the collection... MP3s for listening.
    Thats how i do it since years. (Also when there is pressed vinyl.) 8)

Anyway... just my 2 cents.

• I'll tell you what's my point, Matt: in order to not spend even these 10-15 euros necessary to ship to me the sample records they commited to send me by their signature on our contract, they tried to find every ridiculous excuse to not do so. First they accused me for poor promotion of our agreement which resulted in low sales (like i was responsible to promote their cut-on-demand records), then they accused me for bad masters (the same masters they said they were great when i sent them to them) and, finally, after 1+ year (!) of spoof (over 30 mails exchanged and the same promise given: "i'll get back to you") they took advantage of a negative opinion i gave to a friend when he asked me about Templeplate, to start dissing me and my label (they even said they had complaints about... AF1, a compilation that got 5 stars by EVERYONE, for Christ sake!). My part, i have fulfilled the terms of our agreement in 101% and i challenge them to refute me. I don't want any records, not anymore. I just want people to know with whom they're dealing with. Period.

P.S.: I really don't care if i ruin a post, like i don't care if someone ruins my posts. I don't know these people, nor their label, i don't listen to their music, like they don't fuckin' care about my music and my label's music. Anyone wanna play arrogant? Well, i'm really good to this game ;)

• Heyyy Evan I want to say that I have bought some cutting on demand vinyls....and your Transmission EP sounds better than others of Park studios or New Flesh.....I don´t think you have a poor mastering man ...... I usually use Rodec MKIII to mix and I see if the vinyl have power or if it´s poor with the gain of the channel....and this EP aren´t poor

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!