THE STATE OF ELECTRO TODAY!!

• I was wondering what every one thought about the state of electro today. I personalty think there is not enough fans, most ppl that are in the scene are producers there is a serious overload of music coming out and releases seem to disappear within days. Scum bag label owners and promoters have ruined the scene, seem like gigs are just politics the same dj's and artist's play every event. The scene is divided. Lack of progression. We need to make this music heard. All music now is based on electronic music what better time than now.

Please share your thoughts

• It's hard to come up with anything really constructive on this.
    Can't we just turn back time 15~20 years? ;D

I think the fact that electronic music is all around these days is
    actually the biggest of the problems. Oversaturation is quickly reached
    when things are getting more and more easy to create and more
    and more people do it.

So what can everyone do to generate new Electro fans....
    try to organize your own parties, do your best to create stuff that
    stands out, actively support each other, come together on the few
    Electro platforms that are left, so we have at least a strong basis...
    and don't get tired to spread the word to those who don't know!

• I don't see Electro getting more exposure than it already does unless the ones that throw Electronic Music parties start taking chances & start booking Electro artists to expose the Electro sound to their little corner of the world. With the Electronic Music scene not that strong economical wise the ones that throw parties are going to play it safe by booking talent that is mostly local & others that are big crowd drawers.

• i think that we are in a good electro years!!
    we have more releases as we had time ago, there are new artists every day, new releases!!
    there are no so much partys but the important is the music and we have lots of new tracks every month!
    we ahve lots of radios shows full of greatest electro music!!
    in my case in spain we are living in a gold era!! we are lots of arist releasing, new collaborations, new labels, we have a forum CS where to meet and talk about electro and we do some partys where people from all the country travel to see and meet with electro freaks!
    so for me is the best electro moment that i saw it!!!
    so in spain now we are not alone!!!!

• dwellz rawkz, i agree with most of your thoughts but this is my view.

People who do bookings are not gonna risk with other names than Egyptian Lover for example because there is a small audience that follows the "new school" electro scene...this is totally normal! What we have to do as artists is a mutual support! Organise small events at each country, contact small venues and do the parties.
    What they do in Spain, in Germany & what we did in our country ( i hope we will do it again)
    Of course the financial cost for us to bring over an artist we like to play together is big each time we trying this, but we enjoy it to the max and that its all about! Plus you introduce his music to people who didn't know about.
    About releases this is a big chapter, they seem to disappear maybe because its not that properly made!
    An mp3 is always an mp3, if somebody releases mp3s each week or each month it can't be proper always, to do that you will add fillers!
    Wait a year or two or whatever until you come up with something really fresh & solid and then spent some euro and press it to a vinyl or a cd. Limited? Limited! If its good its gonna go, people will listen buy it and love it!
    Its gonna stay safe at their collection during the years and its not gonna be lost with the rest GB at the next HD format ;D
    Or if you cant spent money sent it to a label, there are plenty labels...if its good they will go for a pressing.
    Fuck scum labels and people who do not care about music, you can find really proper labels around to cooperate.
    What matt said at his last paragraph is straight to the point .... its easy to release a demo electro mp3, its cheap and no risk, but if you really believe to your music and you thing you have something to offer to the scene you go with the hard way and you spent your money to press your music in a real format.
    Every electro listener remembers DBS-Arabian Dreams 12" or Diplomat - Ultrasonic Warhead 12" or...
    Why? Because its proper electro in physical format!
    I am not talking to you in 1st person, i speak in general. Hope i help a bit the conversation

peace 8)

• What does the term 'electro' mean? Is it music that is simply 'electronic'? As Matt pointed out, this type of music is far more freely available in a myriad of forms than ever before (for a host of reasons), the listener just has to listen and work out what is best for them.

What about the electronic music music falling within the parameters of what was (and perhaps is) called 'Hip Hop'?

What about the role of the audience and listener / purchaser in this process?

155 :)

Never to the left of a yoga mat!

• Zitat von 155;59129

What does the term 'electro' mean? Is it music that is simply 'electronic'?

We're only talking about 'Electro' as in
    Electrofunk/Electrotechno/Electrobass/Electrobreaks/Electrohiphop...
    (If you wanna read it, I just tried myself in an 'Electro' definition here:
    https://forum.electroempire.com/forum/showthre…58788#post58788
    Maybe we should open a new thread for this topic?)

dwellz rawkz only pointed out the fact that 'electronic music' is all around these days,
    and that this could be a good situation for 'our' type of Electro to grow as well.

If it wasn't for the general oversaturation (in all electronic music / music styles)
    this could actually be true. Though i think the other big 'problem'
    of our type of Electro, in terms of reaching bigger audiences,
    always was that broken beats are simply a little too brainy for the masses.
    It's just easier to dance to a simple '4 to the floor' Disco/House/Techno beat.

• I think digital kinda put electro down, cause lots of artists publish their tracks online just because they can. There are tons of shitty and boring/similar/uninventive electro tracks out there and it's important that we don't shut our eyes on this problem cause it really exist. From listener's perspective this is really frustrating cause you have to listen tons of junk until you find release that's worth of listening. There are exceptions, of course, but it seems that artists do exploit digital distribution for benefit of their ego :)

That's why I mostly prefer labels that publish vinyl. Why? Cause when you put your money on it, you'll make sure that you publish the best possible music.

• I think electro is currently in a period of recognition, more artists day by day produce various electro stuff
    or maybe better to say music with electro form, and there is a number of good electro releases coming out on various labels that aren't dedicated to electro sound, ofc as well on all other indie or "major" electro labels. As the number of artist increase the whole scene does, more options to pick, different styles of electro to hear, it's like over and over spoken story that isn't written but which continue to spread all around until the moment comes at some point in the future when a specific form, style of electro will be hyped and turned into mainstream.
    When it comes to parties, recently i've noticed alot going on in different parts of the world though...

• I AGREE TO THIS - ITS ALWAYS EASIER FOR ALL THE PEOPLE TO DANCE TO A "TECHNO BEAT" THAN TO THE "BROKEN BEATS" !!

• Zitat von dwellz rawkz;59023

I was wondering what every one thought about the state of electro today. I personalty think there is not enough fans, most ppl that are in the scene are producers there is a serious overload of music coming out and releases seem to disappear within days. Scum bag label owners and promoters have ruined the scene, seem like gigs are just politics the same dj's and artist's play every event. The scene is divided. Lack of progression. We need to make this music heard. All music now is based on electronic music what better time than now.

Please share your thoughts

Sounds a bit like how it died out a bit in the mid 80s , history repeating itself,lets hope not :-/

• Zitat von elektroakust

Though i think the other big 'problem'
    of our type of Electro, in terms of reaching bigger audiences,
    always was that broken beats are simply a little too brainy for the masses.
    It's just easier to dance to a simple '4 to the floor' Disco/House/Techno beat.

Zitat von Prototype;59150

I AGREE TO THIS - ITS ALWAYS EASIER FOR ALL THE PEOPLE TO DANCE TO A "TECHNO BEAT" THAN TO THE "BROKEN BEATS" !!

i don't agree. it has always been a matter of trends. people have danced to soul & funk (broken), disco (4/4), hip hop & electro (broken), techno & house (4/4), drum & bass (broken), etc etc.

• I spin electro since 2000 and run an electro label since 2003. During all that time I didn't notice a scene that could have been ruined by anyone. Electro is a niche music market and it most def will stay that way. Occasional hot spots (Spain) and temporary hypes (Street Sounds), but all in all don't expect anything if you do electro.

With respect to parties: I've been told that Electro in general, and our music in particular doesn't work on a dancefloor. Well, whenever I've been booked I proofed those folks to be wrong. The last time in Tresor/Berlin.

I agree that there is a tendency to book the same names over and over again. It seems to be better to book Aux88 than local folks, but well, if one doesn't like these decisions, then put yourself in a position where you can decide differently.

Bottomline: I do what I do, because I like it. And that is not depending on a scene or parties.

• Zitat von drschmidt;59212

I spin electro since 2000 and run an electro label since 2003. During all that time I didn't notice a scene that could have been ruined by anyone. Electro is a niche music market and it most def will stay that way. Occasional hot spots (Spain) and temporary hypes (Street Sounds), but all in all don't expect anything if you do electro.

With respect to parties: I've been told that Electro in general, and our music in particular doesn't work on a dancefloor. Well, whenever I've been booked I proofed those folks to be wrong. The last time in Tresor/Berlin.

I agree that there is a tendency to book the same names over and over again. It seems to be better to book Aux88 than local folks, but well, if one doesn't like these decisions, then put yourself in a position where you can decide differently.

Bottomline: I do what I do, because I like it. And that is not depending on a scene or parties.

couldnt have put the sentiments any better than that..

i dont think big name labels coming back and trying to manipulate and monopolise the scene
    a few years ago helped things really, just served to cause a little division if anything..

things really kept going during the 90s and 00s with the determination of many smaller labels and individuals producing the music,doing what they do because they love the music and were keeping the vibe "alive". the same thing that will keep it going now...

as for the scene now ,in general there are many factors that determine things and have changed over the years,, with the advent and progression of computers and music software
    its easy enough for anyone to knock out a half decent track,, not so easy to do something origional and stand out as it was years ago.. so many sub genres too,, theres a million sub genres of dubstep and electro house alone lol..

times change, adapt and survive or crash and burn.

• seems fine to me

[ame]

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/ame]

• I think that the demise of vinyl coupled with the influx of digital releases has played it’s part in the overall quality of the genre today.

To issue a vinyl release costs a lot of money, and therefore you would want the quality of the tracks you were releasing to be high due to the financial risk involved. A digital release costs next to nothing and there is little financial risk involved so the quality is sometimes lacking.
    There are so many digital releases that the market gets saturated and it’s often hard to pick out the quality tracks due to the quantity that are released.

I can’t afford to keep losing money on vinyl releases hence the one per year we try to manage!

Quite ironic really that technology has damaged a music created with technology! Not just electro though - I'm sure the same can be said for all electronic genres.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!