Anyone use Max/MSP/Jitter?

• I am taking a class right now about it. I was wondering if anyone else who made electro ever used it. I am trying to find inspirational ideas about how to apply what I am learning. I am starting with building some patches, which can then be controlled w/ a MIDI controller and wired into Cubase. Next I am going to experiement with the sound sensing abilities and visual output via JITTER. It's pretty neat but has a deep learning curve... I am at a point where I don't know enough to have a lot of creative ideas, but I want some inspiration to keep me going.

• Hey Starrie
    IDM forum is that way -->
    ;D
    (joking!)

I had the opportunity to sample this software a while back.
    Its very powerful i admit, but the learning curve was just way too steep for my liking.
    The time needed to get usable results was just off the hook, i'd rather spend my time on composing.
    I have enough problems reading manuals for things ! let alone needing a course to learn the product.

Good luck with it, you should get a medal just for trying!

• well the great thing with it now is MAX4LIVE - which is a dope way to get into it, think of the reaktor library and thats how M4L will be eventually.

Supercollider is dope as well, but its more of a headfuck then Max. But better in some respects because its text coding, which lends itself to crazy experimenting more easily than Max, you want a thousand osc in that synth, just type it. in Max you'd have to draw each one, hook it up and then try and make it look tidy.

• ;D

Indeed, the learning curve is nuts. I signed on for a class at University of Virginia in their Music department ( I work there so the class is paid for by my benefits ). I am 7 weeks in and there is no getting out of it now.... so I am just going for it. If I am going to devote all this time into learning it I want to keep using it... hence why I am looking for inspirational creative ideas. One good thing is that I really feel like I am learning sound synthesis on a a very basic theoretical and technical level, and therefore am gaining a lot of understanding of it that will carry through to using just about any synthesizer or program. So even if I don't always use it forever, I guess I am gaining some value from it.

If I get through this class OK and pull off being able to make some patches that I can use in at least one of my productions I will humbly accept a medal. ;D

• Zitat von FUDOG;46049

well the great thing with it now is MAX4LIVE - which is a dope way to get into it, think of the reaktor library and thats how M4L will be eventually.

Supercollider is dope as well, but its more of a headfuck then Max. But better in some respects because its text coding, which lends itself to crazy experimenting more easily than Max, you want a thousand osc in that synth, just type it. in Max you'd have to draw each one, hook it up and then try and make it look tidy.

Yeah I need to get Max 4 Live... haven't really looked into that yet but I know about it and it's exciting. I've never used Reaktor, but have heard good things about it. :)

I am excited about Jitter, too. I have always been fascinated with the idea of doing some sort of multimedia art w/ sound and visuals. This software is perfect for this because it has sound sensing capabilities from a mic input.

My professor said that Supercolllider sounds better than MAX/MSP but the learning curve is waaaaay higher. I'll stick with Max/MSP for now... it's more than enough for me at the moment.

Max/MSP can be used w/ JavaScript, I wonder if you can write a script that would duplicate an object however many times to get the same effect (modifying through text instead of have to manually add and arrange each new object)?

• I find the Max software really interesting myself, but I am afraid of the learning curve too. I think that it's really nice that you have a local collage promoting a class for it :o I wish my schools nearby got into this trend as well. I can say I have used Reaktor... I love it once I started to get the hang of it. But I found myself writing patches for synths and weird stuff more than I was writing tunes. So my happy medium was Reason and left Reaktor alone for now.
    Cool topic, I was wondering what people where using this software too myself. :)

• I used Max a little bit to do some midi remappings with my Electribe so I could do dj sets with it, but that was a long time ago. My student license has expired now so if I want the full product I have to pay $200 or something like that. I use Ableton to produce and I've wanted Max for Live for a while, but IMO they're still charging a bit too much for it, cause there's no way I can afford it. I think there's definitely a place for experimental sound stuff like that to mix with electrofunk though. I'm trying to get into playing with Reaktor more but I never seem to have enough ideas for projects.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!