Yes Or No - Street sounds Electro Chart

• Zitat von elektroakust.;45434

We are thinking about ways to possibly build up a chart voting system for Electro Empire,
    that is 100% transparent. But its complecated and expensive to be programmed.
    So this might still take some time. In the meantime, how about having a sticky thread
    for everyone to post personal charts?

This is something SS should do on their forums to prevent spam votes.

• Zitat von ghosttechnology;45437

This is something SS should do on their forums to prevent spam votes.

I think it should happen on a more neutral place. As soon as its in connection with one label,
    there will always be doubts if its 100% unbiased, and naturally the fan base of that label will be providing most votes anyway.

I think jimmy was referring to a certain song called "blah blah blah" in the chart, that everyone just loves. :uglyroll:

• Zitat von ghosttechnology;45436

Thats a nice way to say you have nothing to say by saying absolutly nothing.

That made about as much sense as my sarcastic blah blah blah comment.

Zitat von elektroakust.;45438

i think jimmy was referring to a certain song called "blah blah blah" in the chart, that everyone just loves. :uglyroll:

Exactly.

The thing is if people want to vote for a certain track then let them, if these votes enter the charts then so be it. If people don't like it then thats their problem, there is no need to moan about something thats not being controlled by 1 single person when it's being controlled by many.

At the end of the day if you like a certain track then vote for it if you don't want to vote then then don't vote.

There is also no need to have ago at the DJ who runs the chart Lee does a fantastic job (shit mixing tho, and a really bad sheep shearing accent) but he's there and he gives us the opportunity to hear these trax well before there released. He plays trax that are good and don't even get into the charts now who's fault is that!!! if you don't vote then it wont get in...simple.

Stop moaning like a bunch of old grannies and just enjoy the music.

• Zitat von Jimmy Smithson;45440

not being controlled by 1 single person when it's being controlled by many.

Thats whats in question.
    And it shouldn't be, for something that claims to be representing the hard work & passion of so many people.

• Im with Ghost on this.... I feel like too many people look to the Street Sounds chart with an assumptive view that it represents the scene in an unbiased way. The problem with it is that not many people outside of artists and other deejays really question how the chart is put together. Thats probably why it has taken so long to come to a head... I feel its long overdue.

"The Street Sounds Electro Chart is made up from sales, radio/club airplay and from charts submitted by the Dons of Electro." Hmmm.... So what clubs are being queried? Which stations are being monitored? What purchase channels are involved in the data? How are the votes counted? .... These are all questions that need/deserve to be answered.

Its not a personal attack on anyone... Morgan or Lee. I think that anyone who has had these sort of dissenting thoughts has a right to know. A large population of people make their purchase decisions off of what this chart has to offer. So for anyone to say "dont take it so seriously" to the artists/deejays that are trying to be part of this scene is condescending. All of it really is a huge nod to Lee and Morgan when you think about it.... That people take this chart so literally/seriously is an achievement that they should both be very proud of. Any other website/show would be lucky to have the sort of draw that the SS electro chart has... But i think its rather obnoxious for anyone to say its wrong of us to ask. And given the sort of draw that the chart does have, isnt it only fair that we, the artist/fans/deejays, know what is going on behind the scenes? I know im not alone in this. Even outside of this thread i have had many conversations with people who have these same questions... It all comes down to transparency and treating your customers fairly. Thats all anyone is asking for...

• I will come out and say it straight.

The chart does not represent anything else but Street Sounds and Morgan Khans agenda.

There is absolutely no problem with that what-so-ever except for the fact that its presented to be an unbiased chart. It's not.

We all can see this if its looked at closely. A lot of well respected electro artists and labels have come to that conclusion. Even parties that are represented on the charts and on street sounds.

Electro Alliance also took down this chart because of this fact.

We are 100% behind getting together a better chart. The new Electro-Digital MP3 shop will have a top 20 sales that will be untouched by any human or opinion. It will be purely a top 20 selling tracks from the site and we plan on including ALL electro we can get our hands on.

Maybe this can be added to the EE chart by fans and perhaps an Electro Alliance chart done by fans then we could have a better idea of a real top 20 for electro.

Respect to Morgan & Street Sounds for getting back into the electro scene after all these years. However the chart is unfair and leaving out ALOT of very talented and well respected electro artists.

This is not a battle for opinion or taste. Not old school vs new school. It's about being unbiased and represented a true "Top 20" Electro Chart.

If it's a Street Sounds chart then leave it at that. Dont tell us its based off calculations of sales and collection of DJ charts. I have seen #1's on that chart that get HORRIBLE reviews and NO PLAY yet they are on the SS compilations so they are at the top.

A lot of people can see that so the truth is out.

• Zitat von ghosttechnology;45446

And btw nobody is picking on Lee, maby you should read what we posted..

People are bringing Lee into this think you should read what people are saying yourself, maybe it's because I read it all I can see this.

Hey everyone tune in now

GLOBALFUNKRADIO.COM

Take a listen to the chart see if your votes are in.

• The chart is named Streetsounds electro chart, not the electro chart. It is logistically impossible to include all data. I think the Street Sounds electro chart does add something to our scene.

• Zitat von Jimmy Smithson;45450

People are bringing Lee into this think you should read what people are saying yourself, maybe it's because I read it all I can see this.

Hey everyone tune in now

GLOBALFUNKRADIO.COM

Take a listen to the chart see if your votes are in.

nobody is "bringing" we are asking, there is a difference.

Love what DVS wrote down.

Thumbs up Larry.

• When Morgan was first designing the chart I told him that this was a mistake. Having anybody and his brother vote unanimously is just asking for ballot stuffing. I'm not surprised that tracks from the Street Sounds comp are on the chart, after all it is mostly fans of Street sounds who vote. It is also EZ for Morgan to influence those fans through his promotion towards tracks of his choosing. I won't go so far as to say that Morgan intentionally manipulates the chart though, but I will admit that I have a suspicion or two. ;)

What I told Morgan is that the chart should have reporters, just like Billboard and various DJ mags used to do. Each week those reporters... DJs and other so called Dons Of Electro (whatever that means) would present their top 10. Also, various top selling charts from sites like Juno would be included. From all of these the Top 20 chart would be compiled. Here's the most important part... EVERY SINGLE REPORTER'S TOP 10 AND EVERY TOP SELLING CHART WOULD BE POSTED AT STREET SOUNDS! Then, you would have transparency, and though you would still have complaints (because that NEVER ends) NOBODY could challenge the chart's integrity!

But... he didn't listen. :)

• To be honest the chart means nothing to me, music charts never have. When you think about it, it's quite a relief really, otherwise I might still be replaying Bucks Fizz and Shakin Stevens tracks instead of Afrika Bambaataa and Grandmaster Flash! ;D

• For a top 20 chart to work you're going to need a hell of a lot of people voting each week to get a useable result. I just can't see it working.

As for basing it on sales - again, a tough one as lots of labels choose to bypass distributors these days.

• I have read each and every post on this thread with regards to the Street Sounds Electro Chart and feel that it is necessary to state my point of view and the facts.

I am firstly extremely proud that this conversation is even happening as it means that we all feel that the Street Sounds Electro chart is a good thing for the community and scene. Prior to this chart there was no accurate or legitimate gauge of artist or track popularity within the Electro community. The Chart is a conduit and central focus point for all that is happening in the Electro community and so many artists have emailed me saying that they are working so hard to one day fulfil their dream of featuring on the chart.

The Street Sounds Electro Chart has always been objective and fair. We have never biased or corrupted the chart in any way. When the chart idea was in its embryonic stage I asked numerous people for their help to suggest how the chart was compiled including Cozmo D (whose idea I felt would not work due to apathy and because I wanted everyone to be able to participate, not just an elite few). I also emailed literally hundreds of artists, producers, label owners (including Matthias, Dominance Electricity) and fans for their contribution as well. I obviously knew that some artists would try to manipulate the chart and ask friends and family to vote for their track; since polls and charts began there are always way to manipulate the final results! We have tried to represent the views and wishes of as many people as possible. Martin Evolvah was the first DJ to host the Street Sounds Electro Chart and with certain other DJs helped shaped the look of the early charts. The system was and is very simple and I believe fair; we looked what was being played on other radio shows including GFR using playlists and/or podcasts, visited several download sites including Juno and Beatport, read what the Electro forums were saying about new tunes and then used charts submitted by DJs (including Martin Evolvah’s at the time), artists, producers and the FANS! This is still the principle of how the charts are compiled. There is one big difference however, Lee at GFR now hosts the chart and as Mike Allen was back in the day is considered by many (including myself) as the host of the most important weekly Electro show. I noticed that certain comments were aimed at how much importance we apportion to Lee’s chart. Lee’s input is of course very valuable to us. As Westwood is to Hip Hop and Trevor Nelson is to Urban, Lee is to Electro. Lee has deservedly created a name for himself and even when I speak to US, German, Spanish, Croatian or many other artists and producers, they always ask one question…will Lee be playing my tune on his show?’ So unashamedly I do take Lee’s chart to be a significant contribution but along with everyone else’s charts and all the other factors.

I also used to receive a weekly chart from Matthias. I believed that Matthias’ chart was important as he runs Electro Empire and I had hoped would be unbiased towards chart entries. Unfortunately, he stopped sending in his chart when I emailed him one time saying that his chart only had releases on his own label and no other tracks at all from any other label. This I felt was wrong. From that day he has not emailed any charts to us. What absolute hypocrisy commenting on a fair and unbiased chart Matthias!

I would like to thank the silent majority for their support and always knew that a minority people would be upset no matter how the chart looked. The issue about the chart being biased towards which tracks are on Nu Electro vol.3…what rubbish. If tracks that are on the album are also in the chart than this shows we are doing our job well and reflecting what is the best in Electro. To those who say that Street Sounds manipulate the chart to use it for self promotion, it is completely untrue! We can’t help the fact that the Street Sounds fan base submit charts and therefore vote for tracks from Street Sounds compilations. It is also a true and fair statement to make, as difficult as it is to both say and hear, that not everyone has heard of or is a fan of every Electro Label on Electro Empire and this is why we promote the label names on the chart and feature the Electro Chart on our website ‘Home Page’.

I will not comment or voice my opinion on some of the other Electro compilations available to buy, but I feel that the Street Sounds Nu Electro series reflects the ‘best of’ Electro as the original Electro albums did back in the day. In the 80’s we regularly had the top 10 records in Mike Allen’s chart on Electro albums. Were the charts then manipulated? Hell no! We just put tracks on the album people wanted and this is still our ethos today. We compile the Nu Electro albums to reflect the best tracks across all of the Electro sub-genres and it is for this reason why we have a huge following and support. People trust our integrity and the Street Sounds name. When compiling Nu Electro vol.3 we wanted to put together an album that would sell more than 7 downloads!! This may sound like I am being flippant but I have had this conversation so many times with talented Electro artists and producers who are frustrated that their music is not heard, enjoyed, and bought by more people. I am so proud that each and every track on vol.3 is a tremendous tune. To make the final selection of 19 tracks we had to select from hundreds of submissions. This was very difficult, but also tells me that the Electro community is healthy and growing. There are so many creative musicians out there that need to have exposure. The Street Sounds Nu Electro series is looked at as the market leader. The artists, producers and labels who have submitted tracks to us know this and are aware that the Street Sounds brand stands always and only for the best. They want to be part of a growing scene and growing market and this is healthy for all of us. What should excite all of us is that a different audience is now being attracted and appreciating Electro and maybe they will also buy other Electro tracks! Just one A&R suggestion, stop putting out these terrible compilations of demo quality tracks. Have some threshold of quality. A 6 minute track of the same 16 bar loop is not good music, it is NOT even music!

I am afraid that certain selfish people relish the fact that the Electro scene is underground and that they feel more important by keeping the status quo. The difference with Street Sounds is that we have nothing to prove and therefore our goal is to do what is best for the artist, producers, labels and Electro movement and grow the scene. This will benefit everyone in the long term.

I will accept any and all suggestions and adopt them if they are good ideas. Cozmo, thank you for your post but hey, do not cry if you do not yourself participate. Why do you not send in a chart? Your chart input would be valuable to us as you are truly one of the greatest Electro artists there has ever been, also have great ears and your input would be hugely appreciated. This applies to everyone out there; please help us to make the Street Sounds Electro chart better. I am sure there are parties as I write this plotting and conspiring to create another chart but the very last thing the scene needs right now is yet another chart to further dilute and split the scene.

Yes there is always room for improvement and I agree that the chart needs a shake up and the weekly results publicised. I will make it my absolute priority to improve the chart as soon as possible, but we need everyone’s participation, ideas and commitment to make this happen!

I love what I do and hope that I can serve the Electro community for another 30 years, I feel privileged and honoured to do so. I am too fucking old to care what people think about me and actually I didn’t care even when I was 18.

Respect & love,

Morgan.

• Hey Morgan, please allow me to reflect my opinion on your post,

Firstly the chart is not reflecting all that is happening in the Electro community, and how could it? I have never seen tons of producers or live acts even post on any form of social networks let alone send tracks in to be charted.

After all you yourself are dividing people into "silent majority" and minority. Those two factions make a whole Morgan and not taking that into consideration you cant reflect "everything" that is going on.

I can trust you that you belive the chart has always been fair and unbiased but its concept is not allowing it to be.

I am sorry but some of the "selfish people" as you label them know as a fact that electro is and always will be underground.

That is why we the selfish ones always had trouble to pack clubs and darined our bank accounts dry trying to promote the stuff.

You see, for me this is a hobby and a beautyfull one, not a business as in your case.

"Just one A&R suggestion, stop putting out these terrible compilations of demo quality tracks. Have some threshold of quality. A 6 minute track of the same 16 bar loop is not good music, it is NOT even music!"

Is this why you told me over skype that you recieved 6 more tracks from Croatian artists besides UKV for Nu Electro 2 and that they are all garbage? Have this people learned by now to meet your standards? :)

"our goal is to do what is best for the artist, producers, labels and Electro movement and grow the scene. This will benefit everyone in the long term. "

Can you start by paying our royaltys? You have our bank account, or send it via pigeon mail. So we might try and run our little selfish hobby.

I am too fucking young to care what people think.

RESTEKPA,

Ivan

• For me Electro is also a lifelong and beautiful hobby but is a business also and I treat everyone on our albums with the due respect that comes with that. For me though it is so much more than just a hobby, I live and breathe Electro and other music 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and have done so for almost 30 years. My dear friend Cozmo D and I have discussed this point on many occasions and both agree success only comes from total 100% commitment. This does not mean you shouldn't have another job to pay the bills which must be done, but it does mean treating your releases as more than just a hobby.

Maybe you should run your label more like a business as you never even bothered to send in your invoice to our statement as requested, for us therefore to be able to pay your royalties. That is your fault, not ours.

By the way Ivan, my comment to you about 'garbage' was a general reference to how much crap is released and was not specific to Croatia or anywhere else. N-ter 'This Is My Life' and DJ XED’s ‘Electrify’ (who also mixed CD 2 of the album) are both phenomenal tracks and featured on Nu Electro vol.3 and as you know Xed & Bojan are from Croatia.

I don't intend to waste any more energy or time discussing the underground scene, isn't the whole purpose of life to evolve and improve and be the best we can be!

• To anyone who posts from now, please don't think I am ignoring you or being discourteous but I haven't got time to sit watching this thread all day. I am busy promoting Electro as a whole as well as Nu Electro vol.3, doing more radio interviews, other media junkets and beginning to compile Nu Electro vol.4 already. I will therefore not be back on the forum until Monday, thanks.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone ;D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!