musicians! let's talk about your work ethic

• how long does it take you to finish a song?
    do you prefer to wrap it all up in one long session or are you only doing small bits at a time and then continue where you left off?
    are you "working" on your tracks each day / every other day/ one day a week ... or whenever creativity hits you?
    how do you go about making music?

• Zitat von lj;31385

how long does it take you to finish a song?
    do you prefer to wrap it all up in one long session or are you only doing small bits at a time and then continue where you left off?
    are you "working" on your tracks each day / every other day/ one day a week ... or whenever creativity hits you?
    how do you go about making music?

i do all of your questions some times 3 hours for a track some times 5 months, some time spend 2 hours on the studio some times spend 15 minutes some times spend 12hours nonstop!

the muse of inspiration come to visit little times, but when she comes to visit you, you have to be on the studio working!!! ;)

• well, basically it depends of the mood. i am not a professional to face deadlines and other kind of business limitations. i work spontaneously; when i really feel i've got something worth to express with my music i sit down and get busy with it. i do all the stuff (writing, playing, editing, mastering) completely alone, usually in one looong session. some ideas are getting shape between the... appointments at my clinic (!!!), using a pair of (cheap) headphones, but the final result can't be done without a pair of good monitors, so i do it at my home studio late at night. however sometimes it's really hard to do so, because of my work and family obligations; it is impossible for me to have a steady production schedule...
    ...but i don't care; music is my life and i'll keep on doin' what i do til i die! :announce: :headphones: 8)

• It usually takes me about a day to get the main parts/idea/layout down and the another 3-4 days of rearranging/sequencing/making eddits and masterng.

But as LJ said I can only do this when creativity decides to come to me (sometimes not for quite some time). I can make a load of rubbish loops/grooves for a month or two before something good happens.

• It usually takes me a 4-6 days to complete a track that I feel is worth working on. When it takes too long for a track to give me "the kick" I scrap it and start on something new. This way I avoid having too many unfinished tracks around and rather concentrate on those that have "hit potential" ;)

Working on a track for more than 8 hours a day is no good and makes me too dizzy to make any healthy judgement about my music.

• Mostly I listen to music when I get up in the morning while I check my mails 'n stuff. Because of the music automatically I start creating beats in Reason and when I notice that things seem to come naturally, I run to the studio and work on it non-stop (except when I need to smoke a siggy or take a crap) untill my head explodes (and this can take loooooong) and IF i'm not pleased, no worries, there's always another day to make the song better.

But I try to make music every single day. I also noticed that if you leave your studio for a week doing nothing than listening to music instead of creating, you'll notice your head is fresh and keeps you going for another 3-4 months (at least, in my case). Every now and then I try to do this.

I usually work on 1 song a time and this can take up from 7-8 hours to 3 days to a month. I also have a pile of unfinished stuff which I think is great, so you can see your own progress (I learn A LOT from this). I try to see it as my sketch book: Mess around, try out new stuff,... It's a lot of fun and there's a lot of crap. But when crap reaches cool... you're in heaven, my friend :D

Electro is the SF of music !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!