Is it wrong to want to make money from deejaying and producing music? ...

• I mean Im sure we all want to make money doing this but theres no doubt we do it for the love of the music and cause we want to see this music progress cuz we all believe in it I mean theres cats out there that make 3 or 4 rap or pop beats a day and are rich and we put 1 month into a track (atleast myself ha ha) and dont make enough to buy a pair of sneakers and you cant even compare the musician ship or talent it takes to make a bangin electro track to these generic simple ass beats but w/e my advice is do what I do work on electro for the love of it and make something else for money.

• Quote from beagle;30561

why would it be wrong?

I'm just interested in everyones opinon.

My own is that i've been Deejaying for over 20 years and got nowhere with it up untill when
    i got a break by being offered to mix SS NU2.

I'm really passionate about what i do and do it for love but money has to come into it at some stage as i now have started making my own tracks, and do not wish to go out and do a 9-5 job,as i want to have producing and deejaying as my main source of income.

I also dont want to be known as someome who just deejays and produces as a part-time hobby,and i want to make a living out of it not just for myself but to help my family,and dont see the point of when people tell you that your talented of still being stuck in a dead end job,and in the rat race.

• can live from electro is so dificult!! i think only 2 or 3 artists can live from electro music!

look rother.................he had changed the style of produccing to can do more gigs and win money(dont know why he did i supouse did it for this)

if you one day can doit....................please let us know the secret :)

• Quote from drschmidt;30567

It's not wrong, but for 99% of the people just not realistic.....

Well if theres only 1% that actually make it then that is very poor indeed,and it gives the impression that people are not that serious about what they do and they just see it as a past time.

It could also mean that the artists dont believe in themselves and their ability to be sucsessful
    and earn a good living from what they do after all the effort that they have put in!

Maybe i should quit as it seems i'm in the wrong business.
    :uglywave:

• I agree with DrSchmidt.

It's not that people aren't serious, it's just how the music industry is these days - it's nigh-on IMPOSSIBLE to make a living from releasing dance music as most music is downloaded.
    It's not like the old days where you could sell 2000 copies of each 12".

I'd say the majority of artists' income comes from DJ gigs. But you'd have to be a good DJ with a following to make a living from it and be able to avoid holding down a 9-5 too.

• Quote from beagle;30573

I agree with DrSchmidt.

It's not that people aren't serious, it's just how the music industry is these days - it's nigh-on IMPOSSIBLE to make a living from releasing dance music as most music is downloaded.
    It's not like the old days where you could sell 2000 copies of each 12".

I'd say the majority of artists' income comes from DJ gigs. But you'd have to be a good DJ with a following to make a living from it and be able to avoid holding down a 9-5 too.

Thats the truth right now.
    I read an article about Pink today, saying if it wasnt for touring she would be back in Maccy D flipping burgers.
    Maybe a little extreme, but its a fair comment about the overall state of the music industry right now.
    Sales are down, the purchase of physical media (i.e cd's and vinyl) are rapidly decreasing.
    The actual profit an artist makes from a cd sale is miminal right now.
    It would be great to make a living from this music, but right now thats pie in the sky.
    It aint gonna happen anytime soon.

• The future of Electro seems very dull then if the above is anything to go by
    and cant understand how there can be a world electro awards for something
    thats not popular etc...
    It all seems pointless and for the life of me i cant understand why any artist would not want to make money.

I for one am not willing to continue doing something i love for nothing when i could be
    doing something else i'm out and i'm just going to be an ordinary music listner from now on.
    I've had enough of all the bull. :ugly:

• Hey, you need to calm down. Music is a way of life. It's not business. When you'll be able to earn a living out of it (which is not bad at all and i'm sure you will-you definitely have the skills), then the magic's gone, believe me; it turns out to be another 9 to 5 boring job...

• Quote from Mixmaster_Mirage;30587

It all seems pointless and for the life of me i cant understand why any artist would not want to make money.

Eh? Not sure what you mean here. Why do you think that an artist would NOT want to make money? Everyone would like to, but at the same time most accept that it's unlikely.

I for one am not willing to continue doing something i love for nothing when i could be
    doing something else

SO you're going to stop making music and DJing because you can't make a living out of it?

In that case go ahead, 'cos you were clearly not getting enjoyment, or creative fulfillment from it and doing it for the wrong reason to start with.

• Harsh word but... damn right! Bravo Beagle!

• As everyone has mentioned, who wouldn't want to make a living doing what they love. But it's just not realistic with dance music, and even harder with the underground stuff like electro.
    The people that do start making a living usually lose some creative freedom, not all but a lot, because you then have to start creating what the people want to hear. People start expecting a certain sound.
    I think this is what I love about electro and the underground stuff. It's a labor of love. People do it because they love it so you can hear it in their music.

• Quote from beagle;30599

Eh? Not sure what you mean here. Why do you think that an artist would NOT want to make money? Everyone would like to, but at the same time most accept that it's unlikely.

So whats the point of doing it then?

Perhaps i've become disillussioned by it all but i was told that i'd make
    money etc this is not the case i had hopes of getting out of the gutter that
    i've been living in..

Your absolutley right mate i'm in it for the wrong reasons and i'm not happy.
    Somebody also pointed out that your words were harsh i dont think so though
    this is what i needed a wake up call.

Think i'd be happier keeping my skills underground as they were before.

Cheers

M

• Quote from 214;30604

As everyone has mentioned, who wouldn't want to make a living doing what they love. But it's just not realistic with dance music, and even harder with the underground stuff like electro.
    The people that do start making a living usually lose some creative freedom, not all but a lot, because you then have to start creating what the people want to hear. People start expecting a certain sound.
    I think this is what I love about electro and the underground stuff. It's a labor of love. People do it because they love it so you can hear it in their music.

So the music is to be kept underground then and not made more commercial?

If this is the case then whats the point of a world electro awards with press and media attention!

M

• Nobody makes any money selling records anymore. I know some numbers from well established techno labels, and many of them just break even. Money is just made with gigs. That's also the reason why many DJs play so many festival gigs in summer these days: They pay better. Having a label and producing is just like having a busyness card.

So the question is how to get into the DJ busyness. And my answer is: No idea. In Germany this is a well protected ground and you only break in having a mentor or someone who opens doors for you.

Why still doing it? Because I like it. Simple as that....

• Quote from 214;30607

that is not what i said. but you also can't tell me most commercial music isn't garbage.

Yes i agree with that most commercial music is garbage and i try to avoid listening to it best i can.

I also believe though that Electro shouldn't be kept hidden underground imo.
    but as this seems to be the case then i think i'm better going back uderground
    myself instead of joining the fight to make it more popular.

Never thought i'd be an overnight instant sucsess and a millionaire or anything just
    wanted to make an income if only to buy better equipment ;)
    at first and help my family out.

• i can relate. i think most artists can. would be very nice to make a modest living out of your craft. enough to just get by doing what you love and be happy.

i'm always on the fence about where i want the music to be. of course it would be great to have some more exposure, but at the same time that attracts so many trend jumpers and things become very diluted as is with many other genres. people just start wanting to make money, become greedy, and suck the life out of it until they can't anymore then move onto the next. of course this is not everyone, but it's usually the cycle.

i think a good number of us still do this for the same reason we got into it, a love for the music and the craft. it's what keeps us sane in our day jobs and keeps us creative. not just like the typical come home, watch tv, repeat again. the good thing is this music will always continue unlike a lot of fads that come and go, because people like you and everyone else on here will continue putting your soul into it and pushing it. :ugly:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!