• pretty obviously not a vocoder? :uglywonder:

btw ..are there any differences in the sound of Autotune and Melodyne
    or is it just about the handling of the programm?
    i never got into details... but it seems like the same sound
    just from two different prgs / companies?

• Zitat von drschmidt;20926

I'd rather die than installing that kinda crap on my music computer.....

Actually melody is quite cool if you know how to use it ;)

• Zitat von elektroakust.;20923

pretty obviously not a vocoder? :uglywonder:

btw ..are there any differences in the sound of Autotune and Melodyne
    or is it just about the handling of the programm?
    i never got into details... but it seems like the same sound
    just from two different prgs / companies?

I haven't used Autotune in many years so I don't know how much it's changed or advanced but they are very different programs. Autotune is geared more towards live performances and it's control is much more rudimentary. Melodyne is solely for production and is AMAZING! It takes a vocal or any monophonic instrument audio track and translates it into a piano roll complete with transitions and nuances. I use it on every vocal I do and it is so transparent that you would never know it. It has completely changed the way I do vocals now. Instead of recording multiple vocal tracks and compiling or incessant punching in and out I just go for the best emotional and dictional takes possible. Any bad notes can be fixed with ease and you would never hear it. It's the most essential and powerful vocal tool that I have. :)

• Zitat von Cozmo D;21120

Any bad notes can be fixed with ease and you would never hear it.

Think of manufactured pop music today in the last 10 years and that statement is kinda funny. ;D

• Zitat von satak;20932

Actually melody is quite cool if you know how to use it ;)

Thank you!

I have used it for years now and have only abused it twice, on the answering vocals of the new version of "Automan" and on "Programmed 4 L.O.V.E.". In both cases I was trying to produce an artificial voice. In "Automan" I mixed it with vocoder which was also my plan for "Programmed" but I couldn't find a vocoder effect that sounded as good in the mix as the Melodyne did without it. I have used it on every vocal that I have produced since at least 1999 and I defy you to point it out. It can fix or change notes without touching nuance or vibrato (something that Autotune couldn't do) leaving the vocal sounding just as natural as it did originally. Or you can change the vibrato or nuance or gliss without touching the note, or any combination of these. It is AMAZING!

• No, there are many techno tunes that use vocals:

The Horrorist: One night in N.Y. City
    Green Velvet: Flash
    Green Velvet: La La Land

Of course I have to admit, that those vocals are not really melodic.

and other's that I forgot the names of. I also listened allot to electro-pop bands Depeche Mode or Industrial combos like Front 242, Skinny Puppy.... of course with lots of vocals. So it's not the vocals as such, but the autotune or melodyne sound that gives me the creeps. Blame Cher....she spoiled it for me ;)

• Zitat von drschmidt;21131

No, there are many techno tunes that use vocals:

The Horrorist: One night in N.Y. City
    Green Velvet: Flash
    Green Velvet: La La Land

Of course I have to admit, that those vocals are not really melodic.

and other's that I forgot the names of. I also listened allot to electro-pop bands Depeche Mode or Industrial combos like Front 242, Skinny Puppy.... of course with lots of vocals. So it's not the vocals as such, but the autotune or melodyne sound that gives me the creeps. Blame Cher....she spoiled it for me ;)

If Melodyne is used correctly there is no "Melodyne sound". I abused it on "Programmed" on purpose. ;)

• thanks for all the answers!
    usually, i am autotune-traumatized too (blame it on lil wayne & t-pain) so when i first heard "programmed for love" i was like: ugh.
    then after a few listens it really grew on me and i realized that you CAN use the effect in a subtle way. those vocals sound truly beautiful, and the effect gives them an otherworldly, dreamy quality. FAR different from all those annoying auto-tuned pop/rap songs we all hate!

• Zitat von lj;21141

thanks for all the answers!
    usually, i am autotune-traumatized too (blame it on lil wayne & t-pain) so when i first heard "programmed for love" i was like: ugh.
    then after a few listens it really grew on me and i realized that you CAN use the effect in a subtle way. those vocals sound truly beautiful, and the effect gives them an otherworldly, dreamy quality. FAR different from all those annoying auto-tuned pop/rap songs we all hate!

Thank you sir! Yeah, that is the difference between Melodyne and Autotune in the net results. Melodyne is much warmer and natural, and completely controlable so there is none of that annoying gargling effect. :)

• Zitat von Cozmo D;21120

I haven't used Autotune in many years so I don't know how much it's changed or advanced but they are very different programs. Autotune is geared more towards live performances and it's control is much more rudimentary. Melodyne is solely for production and is AMAZING! It takes a vocal or any monophonic instrument audio track and translates it into a piano roll complete with transitions and nuances. I use it on every vocal I do and it is so transparent that you would never know it. It has completely changed the way I do vocals now. Instead of recording multiple vocal tracks and compiling or incessant punching in and out I just go for the best emotional and dictional takes possible. Any bad notes can be fixed with ease and you would never hear it. It's the most essential and powerful vocal tool that I have. :)

i see, thanks! 8)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!